Re: Dell-laptop is not working without wireless

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 10:59:34 EST

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:10:49PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:32:27PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>
> > dell-laptop module does not work on my Latitude d630 unless driver for
> > my wireless card (which happens to be iwl3945) is already loaded.
> > Otherwise dcsbas_smi_request() returns all zeroes which causes
> > dell-laptop to not create any rfkill devices nor install backlight
> > device:
>
> That's quite bizarre. I'd had one report of the backlight setup failing,
> but hadn't connected it with wireless driver loading. Long shot, but I
> don't suppose you can figure out which bit of the wifi config is needed
> to get dell-laptop working by just bailing at various bits of the probe
> and seeing if you get sensible answers?

Admittedly I have not spend much time on it but it looks like my box
_really_ wants wifi interface to be fully operational before
dcsbas_smi_request() starts returning proper data. I wonder if iwl3945's
rfkill support interferes somehow here...

Maybe Mario (being a Dell guy) has an idea why this might be happening?

--
Dmitry