Re: [tip:timers/core] timekeeping: Increase granularity ofread_persistent_clock()

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 04:48:19 EST

* Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo Molnar writes:
>
> > * Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I overlooked a case in the powerpc version of read_persistent_lock.
> > > New patch:
> >
> > the patches are already committed and this patch doesnt apply -
> > mind sending a delta fix against tip:master:
>
> Is that going to leave us with a bisection breakage on powerpc
> once this stuff goes upstream? If so please fold the fix into the
> original patch.

Do you ask Linus to rebase the upstream kernel as well, if the
powerpc or x86 build happens to break? There's more than a dozen
such cases per development cycle triggering on my tests alone. If
not, why not?

The thing is, we'll probably redo this portion of the timer tree as
i found other problems in testing, but generally the disadvantages
of a build breakage with a very small non-bisectability window has
to be weighed against the disadvantages of a rebase (which are
significant).

The equation does not automatically flip in favor of a rebase as you
seem to suggest - in fact it generally goes _against_ a rebase.

Ingo