Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: tridge
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 22:23:32 EST

Hi Jan,

> It is much more with devices that are commonly operated with long
> names - multimedia players come to mind - and these "always"
> want a valid 8.3.

Would you mind running an experiment for me with your IOneIt MP3
player?

Change vfat_build_dummy_83_buffer() to just do this:

memset(msdos_name, ' ', 11);

and nothing else. Then delete and re-create the files that you had
problems with and see if your MP3 player is then happy to play
them. That helps a lot with Win98, and I wonder if it also helps with
your IOneIt player.

As I mentioned previously, since your report I'm trying to test on a
bunch of different MP3/media players. So far the tests I've done have
worked fine with the dualnames patch, but I'm still waiting on
delivery of more cheap MP3 players from eBay.

Cheers, Tridge