Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 06:27:42 EST

On Wednesday 2009-07-08 09:42, tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>What I said in the patch help text is:
>
> That means that long filenames created with this option
> disabled will not be accessible at all to operating systems
> that do not understand the VFAT extensions.
>
>that means you have to choose 8.3 names if you want to copy files onto
>a SD card and have those files visible to digital cameras. That is not
>actually much of a change from how things behave without my patch for
>current 8.3 only cameras. As Jan discovered, cameras tend to be pretty
>fussy about the format of the filenames for files. His particular
>camera wants the filenames to be dscfNNNN.jpg, which means that he
>needed to be careful about choosing file names with current kernels as
>well.

In the large picture, the problem is not so much about devices that
restrict themselves to 8.3, such as DCIM-compatible cameras. They
"only" accept 8.3, so there is no point in trying to use a long
name because the software won't look for it in the first place.

It is much more with devices that are commonly operated with long
names - multimedia players come to mind - and these "always"
want a valid 8.3.

>> Perhaps camera vendors fear patents, too.
>
>quite likely they want to minimise their costs, and not paying for a
>patent license they don't need is one way to do that.

Well and there's always some vendors (the more so the one-product
vendors) not paying the royalities they are supposed to.