Re: [GIT PULL] first block round for 2.6.31

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 14:52:16 EST

On Thu, Jun 11 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
> >
> > > Btw, Jens: in your tree, you've committed Tejun's changes without adding
> > > your own sign-off. Not good!
> >
> > That's for the patches that I pulled from his git tree. It should list
> > him as committer too.
>
> NO!
>
> It sounds like you have done a _major_ no-no, which is to pull from his
> tree, and then rebase it.
>
> DO NOT DO THAT! NOT EVER!
>
> If you pull from somebody elses tree, you can no longer touch the commit.
> It absolutely has to stay the same. Otherwise we see this kind of insane
> duplication.
>
> You're doing something seriously wrong here. I wrote a long rant about
> what the rules were last release cycle, but now I can't find it.
> Basically, if you're not the committer, you really must never EVER touch
> it.
>
> [ Anybody with enough google-fu to find my rant, so I don't have to
> re-rant? ]

I pulled from his tree, don't think I ever rebased it. To be honest, I
rebase a lot, and I used to do that for the 'export' branches as well.
But for this cycle I have kept it clean and pulled in your tree when I
knew a conflict at arisen. More trees are now based off the block tree,
so I wanted to make sure that they were able to pull cleanly when they
wanted to. I usually also always apply the patches manually instead of
pulling it in, since I go over the patches anyway.

So I fully agree with what you are saying, if anything was rebased this
time then it was a mistake (that I don't recollect)...

--
Jens Axboe