Re: [GIT PULL] first block round for 2.6.31

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 14:44:33 EST

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > Btw, Jens: in your tree, you've committed Tejun's changes without adding
> > your own sign-off. Not good!
>
> That's for the patches that I pulled from his git tree. It should list
> him as committer too.

NO!

It sounds like you have done a _major_ no-no, which is to pull from his
tree, and then rebase it.

DO NOT DO THAT! NOT EVER!

If you pull from somebody elses tree, you can no longer touch the commit.
It absolutely has to stay the same. Otherwise we see this kind of insane
duplication.

You're doing something seriously wrong here. I wrote a long rant about
what the rules were last release cycle, but now I can't find it.
Basically, if you're not the committer, you really must never EVER touch
it.

[ Anybody with enough google-fu to find my rant, so I don't have to
re-rant? ]

Linus