Re: [patch 0/5] Support for sanitization flag in low-level pageallocator

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 13:35:07 EST

* Larry H. <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10:53 Sat 30 May , Pekka Enberg wrote:
> >> That's hopeless, and kzfree is broken. Like I said in my earlier reply,
> >> please test that yourself to see the results. Whoever wrote that ignored
> >> how SLAB/SLUB work and if kzfree had been used somewhere in the kernel
> >> before, it should have been noticed long time ago.
> >
> > An open-coded version of kzfree was being used in the kernel:
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=00fcf2cb6f6bb421851c3ba062c0a36760ea6e53
> >
> > Can we now get to the part where you explain how it's broken because I
> > obviously "ignored how SLAB/SLUB works"?
>
> You can find the answer in the code of sanitize_obj, within my
> kfree patch. [...]

You need to provide a more sufficient and more constructive answer
than that, if you propose upstream patches that impact the SLAB
subsystem.

FYI Pekka is one of the SLAB subsystem maintainers so you need to
convince him that your patches are the right approach. Trying to
teach Pekka about SLAB internals in a condescending tone will only
cause your patches to be ignored.

Ingo