Re: [ath9k-devel] New kernel recommendations for ath9k

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Thu May 07 2009 - 13:21:23 EST

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Karl Hiramoto <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> For those not subscribed to the ath9k wiki on wireless.kernel.org [1]
>> (which we recommend you do if you're a user) here's a quick note to
>> let you know our latest kernel recommendations for using ath9k:
>>
>> Â* Â>= 2.6.27.22
>> Â* Â>= 2.6.28.10
>> Â* Â2.6.29
>>
>> If you want 802.11n support or AP support you'll want at least 2.6.29.
>> If you happen to have one of our new 1x1 AR9285 devices (all AR9285
>> devices are 1x1) then you'll need at least 2.6.29. If you want to
>> start using ath9k on APs with AHB you will need at least 2.6.30 (still
>> in RC series).
>>
>> As usual if you happen to be stuck on older kernels for one reason or
>> another you can always use compat-wireless [2] and if that happens to
>> be a little too bleeding edge we have now compat-wireless releases for
>> stable kernel releases, starting as of the 2.6.30-rc series [3].
>>
>> ÂLuis
>>
>> [1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k
>> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
>> [3] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable
>>

> Thanks for the update. ÂIf i want to use multiple AP's with Ath9k it it
> still best to use wireless-testing? ÂIs multiple AP support in 2.6.30-rc
> series net-next or wireless-next?

Yeah wireless-testing is best for that. I should also mention that if
you want to use AP mode you want to be at least on 2.6.29 (your own
kernel, not the compat-wireless one) if you care about Power Save
buffering on the AP as otherwise even if you use a compat-wireless
with code from > 2.6.29 those frames will be dropped. IIRC its due to
the way we use skb->cb for this and there not being a clean way to
backport this (so we just drop them).

Luis