Re: [patch] char/raw.c locking on error

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 20:23:17 EST

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:36:08 +0300
Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > (I bet raw doesn't need BKL at all; I'll see if I can't find some time
> > to have a look later on).
>
> Is it still in use - the raw driver, that is? Nowadays,
> every block device can be opened in direct mode by using
> O_DIRECT - this is what raw does. I mean, is it worth
> spending even more time on it?

Certainly when I worked for a vendor there were some big proprietary
applications using the raw interface both because it was an established
API and also because it mirrorred various Unixen and relatives they also
ran the apps on with the same basic code.

Attempts to kill it were met with pretty forceful objections.