Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 10:16:19 EST

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:57:23AM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:

> Here's a simple patch that does that. Not even tested, it compiles. Note
> that file systems that currently do blkdev_issue_flush() in their
> ->sync() should then get it removed.

That's going to be a mess. Ext3 implements an fsync() by requesting a
journal commit, and then waiting for the commit to have taken place.
The commit happens in another thread, kjournald. Knowing when it's OK
not to do a blkdev_issue_flush() because the commit was triggered by
an fsync() is going to be really messy. Could we at least have a flag
in struct super which says, "We'll handle the flush correctly, please
don't try to do it for us?"

- Ted