Re: [2.6.29-rc2 regression] e100: netconsole not functional because of missing firmware

From: Jesse Brandeburg
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 13:30:23 EST

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ 2.008509] e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load
> firmware "e100/d101m_ucode.bin": -22
> [ 2.010461] netconsole: failed to open eth0
> [ 2.010996] netconsole: cleaning up
>
> This has been working all the time without requiring any external
> firmware to be present. Why it suddenly refuses to work now?

to use netconsole you probably need to set config option
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y

Hm, I wonder if we couldn't have netconsole=y select
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL in Kconfig

the arguments as to why the firmware was split out of the drivers have
already been made on this list. Not that I agree with them, but the
decision has been made and we're (network devs) going along with it.