Re: Velociraptor drive related to the use of NCQ.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 09:00:12 EST

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

I swapped out my power supply, changed ALL cables and bought a $1000 raid
controller with BBU, the drives are still having problems, when writing to
them in a RAID10 configuration, it locks up the card:

SMART shows the same thing on many of the disks in the RAID10:

Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3708 hours (154 days + 12 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

I spoke to soon, turning off NCQ helped dramatically, it worked three times!

writing to raid10
dd: writing `file2': No space left on device
1430328+0 records in
1430327+0 records out
1499806973952 bytes (1.5 TB) copied, 3914.51 s, 383 MB/s
Fri Dec 5 06:00:25 EST 2008
writing to raid10
dd: writing `file2': No space left on device
1430328+0 records in
1430327+0 records out
1499806973952 bytes (1.5 TB) copied, 4063.25 s, 369 MB/s
Fri Dec 5 07:08:11 EST 2008
writing to raid10
dd: writing `file2': No space left on device
1430328+0 records in
1430327+0 records out
1499806973952 bytes (1.5 TB) copied, 3926.71 s, 382 MB/s
Fri Dec 5 08:13:41 EST 2008

Then it crashed again, with NCQ enabled, it would not even complete one test,
So basically a new system, new PSU, new cables, its on a new APC UPS and the problem persists even when all disks are on a RAID card, SW raid, it does not matter, Velociraptors have problems, I think its time for me to get regular
1TiB disks and be done with it.

Justin.