Re: [GIT pull] timer fixes for .27

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 23:44:26 EST

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 15:44 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > Please pull the latest timers-fixes-for-linus git tree from:
> >

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git
> timers-fixes-for-linus
> >
> > The patches fix hard to trigger bugs in the CPU offline code of
> > hrtimers which were noticed by Paul McKenney recently. In the worst
> > case they can leave migrated hrtimers in a stale state.
>
> Acked-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Tested-by: Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ah, so we found and fixed these ?

Linus, those bugs are actually a regression from when we didn't use the
new timer code (which isn't that long ago). It would be nice to have the
fixes in .27 (and thus in the various distros that will derive from it)
but I would understand if the size of the patch made you choke that late
in the -rc cycle... In which case we'll be in for more backports :-)

Cheers,
Ben.