Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc8

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 23:21:00 EST

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:21:02 -0700 (PDT)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Dave Airlie wrote:
> >
> > If it is X related then its both a kernel + X server issue, the
> > e1000e driver opens the barn door, the X server drives the horses
> > through it.
>
> Are you sure? There was a mandriva report abou NVM corruption on an
> e100 too (that one apparently just caused PXE failure, the networking
> worked fine).
>
> So I wonder if it's _purely_ X-server-related, adn the reason people
> blame 2.6.27-rc1 is just timing of some X update and then people just
> look at the kernel beceuse the 'network card failed' looks so
> kernel-related.
>
> The reason I mention that is right now it looks like the distros are
> just running around disabling the e1000e module, or perhaps
> downgrading it. Which may not even work!

btw, we're also working on making some parts of the kernel more robust
against certain types of bugs; for example the ioremap checks and sysfs
resource checks. There's a set of checks and API changes we can do to
make it less likely that drivers end up doing bad stuff; but that's
obviously more for 2.6.28 than for .27

visit http://www.lesswatts.org