Re: Linux 2.6.27-rc8

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 22:39:21 EST

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>
>> If it is X related then its both a kernel + X server issue, the e1000e
>> driver opens the barn door, the X server drives the horses through it.
>
> Are you sure? There was a mandriva report abou NVM corruption on an e100
> too (that one apparently just caused PXE failure, the networking worked
> fine).

Well from a purely empirical standpoint, I've been running new X
against that laptop for a long time,
and others have the same laptop, so I think its a problem with the
e1000e driver putting the card into a state which allows
X to do bad things. I think X maybe causing issues on other hw, like
e100 and some realtek.. Also when we say X I think it looks like Intel
driver interaction issues,
as I said I'm running the same stuff on my ATI gpu laptop with e1000e
and haven't had any problems.

But I'm leaving this up to Intel, I don't think HP will take it too
kindly if I keep returning my laptop.

Dave.