Re: mounting windows shares with path exactly like on windows

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 05:37:17 EST

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:50:51AM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Alan Jenkins wrote:

>>> What's wrong with just:
>>>
>>> # mkdir -p /D:/dir
>>> # mount.cifs ...
>>> # touch /D:/dir/file
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Or, use symlinks from /D:/dir to /mountpoint/dir/
>> That only works from the root directory though. In unix, "C:/" is a
>> relative path.
>
> Yeah, creating "C:" symlink in each and every directory accessed by the
> application doesn't sound like a neat solution.

current working directory, actually. Which means you don't necessarily have
to use the filesystem root but only a proper start directory for these
mounts/links. But yeah, we don't know if said proprietary application
does/doesn't cwd() to it.

I suggest extending this mess a bit:

# mkdir -p /server/share
# mount.cifs ...

and use UNC paths. '//server/share/dir/file.txt' will work out nicely :-)

Thorsten.

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski Internet: dl8bcu@xxxxxxxxx |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134 Snail: Kiebitzstr. 14, 49324 Melle, Germany |