Re: loaded router, excessive getnstimeofday in oprofile

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 16:45:30 EST

Evgeniy Polyakov a écrit :
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 04:57:40AM +0300, Denys Fedoryshchenko (denys@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
I have loaded router (~650 Mbps In+Out), based on 2xAMD Opteron 248, Sun Fire X4100. HPET timer available (TSC seems not available on this platform).
Network interfaces is onboard, connected over PCI-X.

Right now i am using only one processor, cause using only one interface and interrupts stick to it. Other is almost not used.
At peak time i notice in mpstat, that this processor is almost "dead", and if i run minor application consuming resources - ping over this router will be terrible. For me it is clear - system overloaded. I did oprofile, and here is result (at low load time, but at peak time it is very similar).

Do you have any packet sockets in this system? Like running dhcp daemon?

Another way to see this problem can be to start a sniffer on the machine, even with a restrictive pcap filter, to check if performance change or not. (It should decrease)

For example, I believe that running "ping" could have the same effect
(increasing netstamp_needed variable : every incoming packet has to be timestamped)

So beware of pings, traceroute and other networking tools...