Re: Kernel oops with 2.6.26, padlock and ipsec: probably problemwith fpu state changes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 20:55:39 EST

Herbert Xu wrote:
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 05:42:21PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
That's not sufficient, though, because you have to track all the state and how it relates to everything. You now have to track both the userspace FPU state and the potential kernel FPU state. The VIA instructions are special (in the short bus to school sense) in that they use a mechanism intended to protect specific state to protect -- exactly nothing.

Sorry, the kernel TS state is what I meant. I'm definitely not
advocating the saving of the kernel FPU state. This is only for
things like the VIA (which also exists for other processors, see
the xor SSE stuff in include/asm-x86).

No, there you are actually using the FPU state (which includes the SSE state.)

-hpa