Re: 2.6.27-rc1: softcursor behaviour changed

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 18:06:43 EST

On Thu 2008-08-07 12:17:21, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> >> In 2.6.26, this
> >>
> >> echo -e "\33[10;5000]\33[11;50]\33[?18;0;136c\33[?102m"
> >>
> >> produces some variation on cursor. on 2.6.27-rc1, I have no cursor at
> >> all :-(.
> >
> > The patch that changed it is below... and I must say I liked the old
> > behaviour better. Unlike blinking, high-brightness background is
> > actually useful. Can we get that one reverted?
>

> The problem is not a matter of taste but a matter of correctness: the
> build_attr function in drivers/char/vt.c stores the blink attribute as
> the forth bit of the background color.
> Then in fbcon we are interpreting the same forth bit of the background
> color as intensity bit.

...which works pretty well. We can't reasonably blink in fbcon, so we
highlight it with bright background, instead. Even old VGA had option
to do that.

> My patch fixes that.

AFAICS high bit is now completely ignored now. That makes it
useless...

For example I can no longer see my cursor.

So, if 2.6.26 behaviour is "incorrect", can you show example where it
matters, and how your patch "helps"?

Pavel