Re: ACPI OSI disaster on latest HP laptops - critical temperature shutdown

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 13:21:56 EST

On Friday 01 August 2008 11:08:08 pm Len Brown wrote:
> [yet another resend]
>
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Len Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > [--snip--]

If Windows is returning true for all ever existing OSI(Windows XY) versions as
Linux is doing it and they stick to that in the future, then my above
assumption is not true.

Thanks to Matthew Garret pointing to the relevant Microsoft documentation.

If the next Windows version also returns true for the one for which the
workaround applies to, they have to take care that only the one OS is
matching in a follow up update, e.g.:
And(brokenOS, !new_OSes)
So this should make half way sure that vendors do not mis-use this too often.
Also it is ensured that the next Linux kernel generation returning
OSI(newOSes) will get the correct AML code again.

And distributions can still offer OSI(supported dist) for emergencies.

Sorry for the loud noise.
I am convinced now that it is not that bad as it first looked like.

Thanks for all the input/feedback,

Thomas