Re: linux-next: Tree for July 30

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 14:56:25 EST

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:34:41 -0400
Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Andrew,
> > >
> > > It is not like we broke ABI here. The progam (synaptics driver) had a
> > > grave bug. Older kernels happened to paper over the bug because they
> > > did not fill the whole buffer that was advertised as available. Now
> > > that we have more data to report the bug bit us. What do you want me
> > > to do?
> >
> > Paper over the bug again. When it happens, spit out a loud printk.
>
> For that we we need to be sure that the size of the buffer passed to
> us is incorrect. I.e. if we decide that 512 is a magic bad number and
> decide to limit the output then legit programs supplying 512 byte
> buffers they will not get the whole thing.

uh. I'm still scrabbling to understand all this. Where is the
information about this kept? Which commit caused this problem to
occur?

It _sounds_ like userspace is passing in a buffer and is also passing
in an incorrect (too large) `size' parameter, yes?

This is an ioctl interface? Could we leave the old ioctl unchanged and
introduce the offending changes into a new ioctl number?

> > > Synaptics driver is a small package and takes 2 minutes to recompile.
> > > You don't have to update entire X server with it (in fact I don't think
> > > it is even part of X distribution because it is GPL).
> >
> > What proportion of the X servers out there did we just break?
> >
> > Was the crash I saw due to this?
> >
> > Where would I (Aunt Tillie running FC5) go to find out how to fix my
> > machine up again?
>
> What is Aunt Tillie doing compiling her own kernels on FC5? You
> OTOH managed to get an answer fairly quickly ;)

I'll ask again: where do our users go to find out how to make their X
server work again? If the answer is "nowhere" then can we please at
least write up a simple step-by-step repair procedure, as we'll surely
be needing it a lot.