Re: [patch v3] splice: fix race with page invalidation

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 13:04:07 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> There are no real disadvantages: splice() from a file was originally meant to
> be asynchronous, but in reality it only did that for non-readahead pages,
> which happen rarely.

I still don't like this. I still don't see the point, and I still think
there is something fundamentally wrong elsewhere.

I also object to just dismissing the async nature as unimportant. Fix it
instead. Make it use generic_file_readahead() or something. This is fixing
things in all the wrong places, imnsho.

Linus