Re: 463 kernel developers missing!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 13:00:53 EST

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> I've added Linus to the recipients since stuff like e.g. Tested-by or
> Bisected-by tags actually undermine what the DCE 1.1 update should
> have accomplished. So if DCE 1.1 (d) is considered to be legally
> required for public indefinite storage of name and email address
> we have a problem here.

Quite frankly, since the patches are public anyway, and the code is open
source, I personally think that worry is just silly fear-mongering by
people who take lawyers not just too seriously, but then think that judges
and lawyers are too stupid to think for themselves.

We added the lines to the DCO-1.1 because we wanted to make it _obvious_
that the legal requirements for the sign-off would never clash with any
possible insane reading of things, but it was a "dot the i's" kind of
thing.

The fact is, people who are involved in Linux know it's public. People
make public bug-reports, and they _expect_ to get attributed. I think any
worries about indefinite storage should be the other way around: we should
strive to make sure that the attributions are consistent and correct.

If somebody really doesn't want their name and email known, they can say
that. We won't accept patches from them, but it's certainly no problem to
suppress "tested-by" etc things on request. Not that I have ever seen such
a request that I can remember, nor do I really expect to ever see one
(unless it's as a perverse reaction to this email where people just want
to be silly).

Anyway, normal people talking about obscure and insane readings of some
random law is stupid. You should worry about "doing the right thing", not
about trying to read law as if it was some mindless machine that acted
like the computers you're used to.

Let's face it, _everybody_ breaks laws if you think about them as some
inflexible and absolute rules. Probably every day.

You roll through a STOP-sign (in California, it was almost as if that's
what the sign _meant_). Maybe you take a shortcut when crossing the street
and you don't walk _exactly_ on the zebra-crossing (or against a red light
just because there were obviously no cars within _miles_ of you). Maybe
you drive 58mph in a 55 zone. Maybe you walk around and spit out the
cherry-pits on the street rather than in a garbage can.

Only insane people with OCD cannot understand that things aren't ever that
black-and-white. Use your good _judgement_ for chrissake!

Linus