Re: [GIT]: Networking

From: David Miller
Date: Sat Jun 14 2008 - 19:24:48 EST

From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 02:39:16 -0700

> the interesting thing is that there is a clear bias on which drivers
> are tripping this (r8169 is top when I counted yesterday, with sis900
> second and then a long tail of nothing) that I think the WARN_ON() is
> useful in addition to the always-there printk. Eg it does help in seeing
> which driver is most likely to trigger this.
> (Andrew also thought this would trigger a *LOT*, so far it's only a
> rather modest amount, but it's waiting for Fedora or others to ship a
> kernel with this in to be sure)

I agree that it's useful and should stay.

One thing I noticed is that you can't tell which driver is
to blame just from the warning and backtrace. Somehow getting
a driver name in that warning message would be useful and help
diagnose problems as well as make it easier for you to compute
those statistics.