Re: 8139cp/too support not accessible?

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 07:04:15 EST

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Elijah Anderson <kd0bpv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I will admit right off the bat that I'm new to interacting directly with the
> kernel, much less building one.
>
> The issue I'm having is that my ethernet card requires either the 8139cp or
> 8139too module. I don't remember which one, so I want to modularize them
> both. Problem is, using $make xconfig; I can't select it. I have the
> interface set to show me all the options, but the modules I need are grayed
> out and I can't change the value.
>
> Using $make config; It doesn't show them, even if I say Y to "Prompt for
> development and/or incomplete code/drivers"
>
> Is there a way to manually select those drivers for modularization, or am I
> just missing a step somewhere?
>
> Thank you.

That's not really a kernel issue... however, since I have
that configuration (both drivers modular) at home, I
know it works :)

You probably haven't selected NET_PCI, which is the
entry described by

"EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers"

The drivers you want depend on the above entry being selected.

--alessandro

"Give me love / Or give me hate
Give me anything that's not just ok"

(Sophia, 'Weightless')