Re: Linux MD RAID 5 Benchmarks Across (3 to 10) 300 Gigabyte Veliciraptors

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jun 11 2008 - 16:30:51 EST

Justin Piszcz wrote:
First, the original benchmarks with 6-SATA drives with fixed formatting, using
right justification and the same decimal point precision throughout:
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20080607/raid-benchmarks-decimal-fix-and-right-justified/disks.html

Now for for veliciraptors! Ever wonder what kind of speed is possible with
3 disk, 4,5,6,7,8,9,10-disk RAID5s? I ran a loop to find out, each run is
executed three times and the average is taken of all three runs per each RAID5 disk set.

In short? The 965 no longer does justice with faster drives, a new chipset
and motherboard are needed. After reading or writing to 4-5 veliciraptors
it saturates the bus/965 chipset.

This is very interesting, but a 16GB chunk size bears no relationship to anything I would run in the real world, and I suspect most people are in the same category.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
"Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still