Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: David Miller
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 15:47:37 EST

From: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 04:42:12 +1000

> BTW, I'm fascinated and a little nausiated that you ignore initrds. We've
> moved half the kernel brains to userspace with udev, initrd and modules; it's
> really unfair that you're not sharing all that why-won't-my-machine-boot
> love.

It's pretty straightforward, if you ask me. I avoid initrd's like
the plague too.

Building and compressing the initrd would increase my build+reboot
cycle time by at least 40%.

Add to that it's simply an enormous pain in the ass.

And for what? I know what freakin' drivers to build statically into
my kernel. I use raw partitions and don't use LVM, I know what
the heck my root filesystem device is named, etc.

The only thing I get "punished" for, where I am absolutely forced to
use an initrd, is when I use qlogic SCSI for the root partition, for
the firmware which we really should have kept in the tree :(

And this is not even a "licensing" issue, like it or not in-kernel
drivers are tied to specific firmware versions both from an API and
from a testing perspective. Externalizing this is really a nightmare.

And I'm not avoiding udev by doing this. udev works just fine if I
raw boot a kernel with all the static devices I need to get root
mounted. All my networking etc. is modular and udev does the right
thing.