Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 14:49:55 EST

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 03:07:03 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 5 May 2008, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > BTW, for the peanut gallery: I don't recommend modversions: it's not
> > reliable in detecting all differences, nor being stable when there are no
> > real differences.
> So I agree that modversions is not "reliable", but I think that the
> alternative is often even *less* reliable, so I find the "don't recommend
> modversions" comment to be pretty debatable.

Kids: do not shove random modules into your kernel. Just because Linus does
something doesn't make it a good idea. modversions tries to be clever, but
don't count on it; you want module signing for this (where did those patches
go?)

BTW, I'm fascinated and a little nausiated that you ignore initrds. We've
moved half the kernel brains to userspace with udev, initrd and modules; it's
really unfair that you're not sharing all that why-won't-my-machine-boot
love.

Cheers,
Rusty.