Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 10:50:46 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
But my point is, I really want to change just the kernel. I don't want to care what the initrd does, and I don't want to build my own. It's all "user space" to me - and thus beneath my notice.

True, but depending on the distro, the distro may want to load specific userland gadgets into the initrd based on your kernel build.

Most kernel hacker situations probably don't need this, but a modern distro these days _does_ want critical-to-boot stuff in initrd like LVM bootstrap programs, iSCSI discovery, Bluetooth userland management, etc.

Jeff