Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 10:38:47 EST

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> That's not good procedure IMO. You always want to keep a known good
> (=booting) kernel, and the distro-provided one might just be that.

Yes, I've always had a known-good fallback. So I actually do duplicate the
lines and leave unchanged versions in /etc/grub.conf for when things go
wrong.

But my point is, I really want to change just the kernel. I don't want to
care what the initrd does, and I don't want to build my own. It's all
"user space" to me - and thus beneath my notice.

And the module loading bug was just that - a kernel bug.

Linus