Re: StackProtector Oopses - Re: 2.6.25-mm1

From: Reuben Farrelly
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 10:41:29 EST

On 18/04/2008 11:51 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:36:45 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Reuben Farrelly <reuben-linuxkernel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

is enough to prevent my system booting, viz:
hm, does it boot up fine with the attached patch and stackprotector enabled? It appears that your system got to the self-test so stackprotector is working mostly - it's just that the self-test went wrong.

yes it'll be interesting to see if this is due to the test triggering or due to
something else.

Reuben:
I assume your gcc is pretty vanilla and doesn't have weird patches in this area?

I think so. Well, put it this way... I haven't made any changes to it, this is the standard/current gcc that has been in Gentoo Portage for the last while.

> Can you do a (with the test enabled in the config/code) do a
> make kernel/panic.s
> and send me that file? (this allows me to see what code your gcc generated for the test)

Done - posted up in the web directory along with the other files (saves the possible grief of MUA mangling).

I'm about to reboot to try Ingo's test also.

Reuben