Re: AMD Quad Core clock problem?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 21:25:29 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

True, but usually they give you an option to turn it off in the BIOS to
make the system actually work with things like NTP.

Maybe I should have said "Any system with spread spectrum enabled".

I haven't investigated those spread spectrums at all but sometimes
there are options: "center" (the frequency is centered around the
nominal value, I guess) and "below" (or something like that). If done
correctly, "center" shouldn't have visible effect on NTP, should it?

It shouldn't really matter, since "below" produces a similar spectrum at a slightly lower frequency.

The main issue is how slow the frequency slew really is; typically the slew should well average out to zero over the timescale that NTP cares about.

The other important question is "what frequency has spread spectrum
enabled"? CPU (= TSC), HPET, RAM, something else?

In PCs, the TSC and RAM will be affected; the HPET, PMTMR and PIT are fed from the 14.31818 MHz timekeeping crystal which is generally *not* spread.

-hpa