Re: [2.6 patch] mfd/sm501.c: #if 0 unused functions

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 15:34:44 EST

On 13/04/2008, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:08:31PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

> > > When I removed unused code outright some people complained that they
> > > plan to use it tomorrow or in the next millenium or whenever.
> > >
> > > When I #if 0 it other people complain that I should remove it outright.
> > >
> > > So whatever I do, there's always someone complaining. ;-)
> > >
> > > In this case the code looks as if it might get used at some point in the
> > > future.
> > >
> > > But if a maintainer tells me to resend a patch with the code removed
> > > instead of #if 0'ed I'm always glad to do this.
> > >
> > But, you are completely ignoring the case of "the code is unused, but
> > will probably be used soon, so I'll just leave it alone and avoid the
> > churn". Why? What's the point of commenting it out now and then
> > enabling it again in a month or two - isn't that just pointless churn?

> It's unused since more than one year, so chances are it won't get used
> in a month or two.

Then I really don't see why you chose the '#if 0' option. In that case
it would seem to me that either "leave it alone, don't submit a patch"
or "submit a patch to remove it outright" would both be more
preferable options.

> As I said, if a maintainer wants me to remove it outright I'll be glad
> to do so.

I don't doubt that.

> And as I said, no matter whatever I do, there's always someone
> complaining...

Please don't see my comments as complaints. They are not intended as
such. I'm merely currious why we keep adding all these '#if 0's since
I don't see the point and I can just see them piling up into some huge
janitorial mountain from hell to be tackled some time in the future by
whomever is masochistic enough to try ;-)

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>