Re: 2.6.25-rc8: FTP transfer errors

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 09:19:38 EST

Ilpo JÃrvinen wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Mark Lord wrote:

David Miller wrote:
From: Mark Lord <lkml@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:27:14 -0400

It's *your* bug -- you signed off on the commit.
I sign off on basically every networking commit, does that mean I have
to fix every networking bug and every networking bug is "mine"?
..

Absolutely, though to a varying degree. That's the responsibility
that goes with the role of a subsystem maintainer. I once had
such a role, and gave it up when I felt I could no longer keep up. You still keep refering to it as "your (my) bug".
It's not. I had nothing to do with it, other than stumbling over it.

This bug is perfect example where bisect clearly was useful :-). Nobody knew whose bug it actually was until your bisect gave directions.

When people stumble over a libata bug, I look hard to see if my code
could possibly cause it. Jeff looks even harder, because he's the
current subsystem dude for libata.

I never suggest a user search through a mountain of unrelated commits
for something I've screwed up on.

But it is ok for you to ask an innocent net developer to do that (even with your terms as I hadn't signed off _anything_ related to that one),
hmm?

...You had this pretty demanding tone earlier:

Or I can ignore it, like the net developers, since I have a workaround.
And then we'll see what other apps are broken upon 2.6.25 final release.
..

That's not demanding, that's quite relaxed. I had a good workaround,
and didn't really care any more at that point. Just though it was rather
odd that none of the developers seemed interested in tracking it down.
I offered tons of help, gave it, and said I didn't have time for a full
bisect at that juncture.

For that, I get repeatedly slammed by the netdev folks.
Even after I put aside *paid* work to submit to your demands.

Next time around, I won't bother reporting bugs to you folks,
that's for damned sure.

Cheers