Re: VM - a plenty of inactive memory

From: Andreas Grimm
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 09:13:55 EST

Hi everybody,

i investigated this further. The tunables swappiness, drop_caches etc.
are no options to solve this. The problem is becoming very unpleasent,
because the system isn't able to cache that much:

The 16GB system (expected behaviour):
MemTotal: 16619808 kB
MemFree: 4490032 kB
Cached: 6929448 kB
Inactive: 1670812 kB

The 32GB system :
MemTotal: 33265916 kB
MemFree: 600000 kB
Cached: 1561124 kB
Inactive: 25873128 kB

Don't you think this is insane? Wasting 25GB at the expense of caching
(compare the cached value)? I'm clueless about this issue. Who (which
process) owns that memory? Is there a way to flush this inactive
memory? I assume that this memory hasn't been reclaimed for days,
because the amount of inactive memory is at this level for days now.

All values in /proc/sys/vm are at the defaults again, on both systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andreas