Re: Latest git oopses during boot

From: Harald Arnesen
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:41:55 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Harald Arnesen wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you do a
>> >
>> > make drivers/scsi/advansys.lst
>> >
>> > and see what it should be?
>>
>> Anyway, here it is, as an attachment.
>
> Ok, I was wrong. The code really *does* compile to that insane
>
> a3 14 00 00 00 mov %eax,0x14
>
> by your compiler.
>
> That's the
>
> asc_dvc_varp->overrun_buf = kzalloc(ASC_OVERRUN_BSIZE, GFP_KERNEL);
>
> thing, and gcc seems to have decided that it can statically prove that
> asc_dvc_varp is NULL.
>
> Quite frankly, I don't see that being true. But you have some patches in
> your tree that I haven't followed, so.. Are you sure the patches applied
> to the right spot? The patch I saw added that kzalloc() to the _end_ of
> the function (long after asc_dvc_varp was initialized), maybe that one got
> mis-applied?
>
> Or maybe your compiler version is simply totally broken.
>
> Linus

I'll try applying the patch to a freshly downloaded git-tree.

Shall I try another compiler? I have at least these two:

gcc version 3.4.6 (Ubuntu 3.4.6-6ubuntu2)
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

in addition to the self-compiled 4.2.3 I used for the tests.
--
Hilsen Harald.