Re: Latest git oopses during boot

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 16:22:35 EST

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Harald Arnesen wrote:

> > Can you do a
> >
> > make drivers/scsi/advansys.lst
> >
> > and see what it should be?
>
> Anyway, here it is, as an attachment.

Ok, I was wrong. The code really *does* compile to that insane

a3 14 00 00 00 mov %eax,0x14

by your compiler.

That's the

asc_dvc_varp->overrun_buf = kzalloc(ASC_OVERRUN_BSIZE, GFP_KERNEL);

thing, and gcc seems to have decided that it can statically prove that
asc_dvc_varp is NULL.

Quite frankly, I don't see that being true. But you have some patches in
your tree that I haven't followed, so.. Are you sure the patches applied
to the right spot? The patch I saw added that kzalloc() to the _end_ of
the function (long after asc_dvc_varp was initialized), maybe that one got
mis-applied?

Or maybe your compiler version is simply totally broken.

Linus