Re: scripts/mod/file2alias.c cross compile problem

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 15:15:42 EST

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 08:09:03PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> I second this. For anything visible in userspace from
> include/* we require usage of the kernel specific
> __u8, __u16, __u32, __u64 typedefs but for device_id we accept
> kernel_ulong_t which result in the following crap in
> file2alias.c:
>
> /* We use the ELF typedefs for kernel_ulong_t but bite the bullet and
> * use either stdint.h or inttypes.h for the rest. */
> #if KERNEL_ELFCLASS == ELFCLASS32
> typedef Elf32_Addr kernel_ulong_t;
> #define BITS_PER_LONG 32
> #else
> typedef Elf64_Addr kernel_ulong_t;
> #define BITS_PER_LONG 64
> #endif
>
> And we ought to have __u64 available.
> See for example types.h from asm-i386:
> #if defined(__GNUC__) && !defined(__STRICT_ANSI__)
> typedef __signed__ long long __s64;
> typedef unsigned long long __u64;
> #endif

You are talking about something different than the current problem.

The current problem is that when crosscompiling we get a different
_padding_ due to file2alias.c being compiled with HOSTCC.

What you are talking about is a different issue, and I can't talk about
it since I don't understand these interactions between modpost and depmod.

> Sam

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.