Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.

From: johnrobertbanks
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 21:35:11 EST

Hi Peter,

You say that the results may be accurate, but not relevant.

.-------------------------.
| FILESYSTEM | TIME |DISK |
| TYPE |(secs)|USAGE|
.-------------------------.
|REISER4 lzo | 1938 | 278 |
|REISER4 gzip| 2295 | 213 |
|REISER4 | 3462 | 692 |
|EXT2 | 4092 | 816 |
|JFS | 4225 | 806 |
|EXT4 | 4408 | 816 |
|EXT3 | 4421 | 816 |
|XFS | 4625 | 779 |
|REISER3 | 6178 | 793 |
|FAT32 |12342 | 988 |
|NTFS-3g |10414 | 772 |
.-------------------------.

If they are accurate,.... THEN they are obviously very relevant.

Trying to follow http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm

I have set up a Reiser4 partition with gzip compression, here is the
difference in disk usage of a typical Debian installation on two 10GB
partitions, one with Reiser3 and the other with Reiser4.

debian:/# df
/dev/sda3 10490104 6379164 4110940 61% /3
/dev/sda7 9967960 2632488 7335472 27% /7

Partitions 3 and 7 have exactly the same data on them (the typical
Debian install).

The partitions are exactly the same size (although df records different
sizes).

Partition 3 is Reiser3 -- uses 6.4 GB.
Partition 7 is Reiser4 -- uses 2.6 GB.

So Reiser4 uses 2.6 GB to store the (typical) data that it takes Reiser3
6.4 GB to store (note it would take ext2/3/4 some 7 GB to store the same
info).

This seems very relevant to me.

John.

--