Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 04:32:18 EST

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Adam Kropelin wrote:

> > hiddev will have to stay for quite some time, exactly because of
> > backward compatibility with userspace applications/drivers that use it
> > (I am not aware of many of them though, but apparently there are
> > some).
> Apcupsd is the one on my mind, but I believe there are others.

I am aware only of apcupsd, nut and hid2hci.

> On Apcupsd we've recently introduced a libusb-based driver that does all
> HID parsing in userspace. Not only does that free us from hiddev, it
> also frees us from the umpteen other proprietary HID interfaces across
> various platforms. Although the hiddev-based driver is still the default
> for Linux platforms, I plan to change that in the next major release and
> thus begin migrating folks off of hiddev.

Great. Do you use libusb to obtain raw hid events? Could you by any chance
look at current implementation of hidraw (it's in -mm or I can send it to
you as a separate patch) and check whether you have any comments on this?
It would be good if you could use hidraw rather than reading raw usb data
through libusb.

Thanks.

--
Jiri Kosina