Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

From: Adam Kropelin
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 19:35:23 EST

Jiri Kosina wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Adam Kropelin wrote:

I apologize for picking up this thread late and asking what may be a
question with an obvious answer... Will hiddev still exist after
hidraw and the HID bus redesign work is done? I have a
widely-deployed userspace app that relies on hiddev, and I'm looking
for reassurance that it will still work as it always has...

Hi Adam,

hiddev will have to stay for quite some time, exactly because of
backward compatibility with userspace applications/drivers that use
it (I am not aware of many of them though, but apparently there are
some).

Apcupsd is the one on my mind, but I believe there are others.

I won't allow it to vanish, don't worry.

Thanks!

We just have to make sure that new users will use hidraw instead, as
it provides more flexibility for the user, is not dependent on the
underlying transport protocol, etc.

On Apcupsd we've recently introduced a libusb-based driver that does all HID parsing in userspace. Not only does that free us from hiddev, it also frees us from the umpteen other proprietary HID interfaces across various platforms. Although the hiddev-based driver is still the default for Linux platforms, I plan to change that in the next major release and thus begin migrating folks off of hiddev.

I appreciate your pledge to keep hiddev functioning in the mean time :)

--Adam