Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 08:41:07 EST

On 4/2/07, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Li Yu wrote:

> Hi, I do not think that using blacklist in base driver for this purpose
> is good idea. If so, we need modify source when each new HID device
> driver come, that's so ugly.

Hi Li,

well, the drivers are exceptions from the generic handling, so creating an
exceptional rule (entry in hid_blacklist) for them is not that bad. OK,
it's not the nicest thing on earth probably, but serves the purpose in
current vendors-trying-to-break-hardware-in-the-most-original-way world
quite well.

Potentially we could even generate 2nd blacklist table automatically
by scanning MODULE_DEVICE_TABLEs for all drivers in HID directory and
merge it with the table we currently maintain in hid-input.c

This is going to cause some headache to out-of-tree drivers. Oh well, do
we care that much?

They still can be made to work using bind/unbind via sysfs, but at
this moment there are 0 drivers for HID bus and hopefully people will
be submittin them for inclusion.

--
Dmitry