Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 05:40:05 EST

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Li Yu wrote:

> Hi, I do not think that using blacklist in base driver for this purpose
> is good idea. If so, we need modify source when each new HID device
> driver come, that's so ugly.

Hi Li,

well, the drivers are exceptions from the generic handling, so creating an
exceptional rule (entry in hid_blacklist) for them is not that bad. OK,
it's not the nicest thing on earth probably, but serves the purpose in
current vendors-trying-to-break-hardware-in-the-most-original-way world
quite well.

This is going to cause some headache to out-of-tree drivers. Oh well, do
we care that much?

In your scenario you'll still need a way how to unbind the device from the
hid driver and bind it to the new specific device, won't you?. This could
be done by a separate userspace program, but well ... I think just
blacklisting the hardware is much cleaner, than needing to ship a separate
userspace program along with the driver.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina