Re: somebody dropped a (warning) bomb

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 17:33:13 EST

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 07:57:05AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I agree that it's "unnecessary code", and in many ways exactly the same
> thing. I just happen to believe that casts tend to be a lot more dangerous
> than extraneous initializations. Casts have this nasty tendency of hiding
> *other* problems too (ie you later change the thing you cast completely,
> and now the compiler doesn't warn about a *real* bug, because the cast
> will just silently force it to a wrong type).

Well one way you could cast it and still have the compiler tell you if
the type ever changes is doing something stupid like:

char* unsigned_char_star_to_char_star(unsigned char* in) {
return (char*)in;
}

Then call your strlen with:
strlen(unsigned_char_star_to_char_star(my_unfortunate_unsigned_char_string)

If you ever changed the type the compiler would warn you again since the
convertion function doesn't accept anything other than unsigned char *
being passed in for "convertion". Seems safer than a direct cast since
then you get no type checking anymore.

I hope it doesn't come to this though. Hopefully gcc will change it's
behaviour back or give an option of --dontcomplainaboutcharstar :)

--
Len Sorensen