RE: bogofilter ate 3/5

From: Stuart MacDonald
Date: Thu Sep 07 2006 - 17:03:20 EST

From: Chase Venters [mailto:chase.venters@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> What are you implying - that SpamCop doesn't make decisions
> about who to
> block and who to not block for third parties? Their weasel wording

It's not an implication, it's a fact.

> I will strongly criticize any service that purports to label
> senders of
> automatic responses as senders of unsolicited mail. The

What would you call it then when I receive a bounce/etc that is in
reponse to a message someone else sent? I certainly never solicited
that.

Perhaps you could send me your snail mail address; I'll solicit some
junk mail but put your address down. But don't call it junk mail when
you receive it, because it was solicited!

> And on the specific issue of autoresponders, I think a reasonable
> compromise is to support DomainKeys. That way if a sender is
> irritated
> that they are receiving automatic responses from messages they didn't
> send, they can personally take action to invalidate the forgery.

IMO one should never have to receive "automatic responses from
messages they didn't send".

> But mark my words: Asking hosts to stop sending bounce messages or
> automatic responses is insane and contrary to over a decade
> of established
> postmaster precedent.

Things change.

..Stu