Re: [patch 02/61] lock validator: forcedeth.c fix

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 21:30:40 EST

On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:23:13 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> nv_do_nic_poll() is called from timer softirqs, which has interrupts
> enabled, but np->lock might also be taken by some other interrupt
> context.

But the driver does disable_irq(), so I'd say this was a false-positive.

And afaict this is not a timer handler - it's a poll_controller handler
(although maybe that get called from timer handler somewhere?)

That being said, doing disable_irq() from a poll_controller handler is
downright scary.

Anwyay, I'll tentatively mark this as a lockdep workaround, not a bugfix.