Re: PCI reset using x86 or x86-64 BIOS calls?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 01:55:29 EST

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:52:23PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
> Unlikely - if you mean just resetting one PCI device, it's likely
> electrically impossible on many, if not most machines as the RST lines
> will be tied together on all slots.
>
> The BIOS might possibly have the ability to issue a PCI bus reset
> independent of resetting the CPU, chipset, etc. but I don't think
> there's any standardized way to trigger this, even so.
>
> In any case, I don't think - or at least would hope - that a PCI device
> going so far into the weeds that it can't be recovered without a RST
> would be a rare situation.

Well I know there is a way to make a pci to pci bridge assert reset on
the secondary bus, which of course resets all devices behind the bridge.
I am not sure when, other than in the bios, this would be useful. I
wouldn't want to have to go clean up the pci configuration settings on
all the devices after the reset. I considered doing it to solve a rare
problem with some pci cards, but decided a reboot was simpler.

Len Sorensen