RE: replacing X Window System !

From: "Döhr, Markus ICC-H"
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 18:52:11 EST

> > No, not necessarily. It´s very possible to run only a single
> > application from an RDP serving system (as you do with X), the
> > application gets executed on the server and the display is
> pushed to the client.
>
> AFAIK, only ICA allows running single applications
> (publishing), not RDP. And, BTW, they _do_ consume a complete
> user session, so they're pretty a resource hog.

No - with RDP 5.2 this is possible as it is with Citrix.

Doing this creates three processes on the system, a login process, a "shell"
(explorer) - and the process I'm executing/calling.

The main difference is - you can't "publish" applications, you need to know
how to call them (path). Everything else is pretty much the same as in
Citrix.

We make heavily use of this with the "Sun Global Desktop" software. That
software acts as middleware between the client and the server, they use
either Java or an AIP protocol to get the application to the desktop.
Working over that in X is as if you were sitting right in front of the
console.

--
Markus