Re: Coldpluging or USB Issues ?

From: Razvan Gavril
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 08:10:07 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 11:25:05AM +0300, Razvan Gavril wrote:
As far as i know since 2.6.15 there is a new coldplug mechanism using uevent and switching to a newer version of udevd that can do the cold plugging and replacing the old hotplug scripts would be the natural next step but before doing this i need to ask some questions like :
1) Where there any changes sine 2.6.15 that could cause the old hotplug scripts to work reliable because most part of the time (95%) they are working ?

I don't know, what is failing?

Sometimes if fails to load the modules for the usb devices at boot but there are no step to reproduce, looks totally random and only on rare occasions if failing.
2) Upgrading to newer version of udevd to let the udev scripts to do the coldpluging can solve any issues that where described ?

Probably, that's what all of the major distros have already done. It
makes the startup logic much smaller and simpler.

This should be continued on the linux-hotplug-devel mailing list if you
are interested.

thanks,

greg k-h
I know that most major distros made the switch, but does anything changed so it would make debian's hotplug scripts (and i don't thing they are only used on debian) incompatible with kernels greater than 2.6.15 ? I cannot risk to upgrade to udev and have the same unstable platform. The most secure option that i have now is going back to 2.6.13 if udev can't give me a satisfactory answer.

PS: I can't find any mailing list named linux-hotplug-devel as i would be more that happy to move my mail there.