Re: [OT] 8-port AHCI SATA Controller?

From: Sander
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 12:15:34 EST

Lennart Sorensen wrote (ao):
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:53:43PM +0100, Sander wrote:
> > I'm looking for an 8-port SATA controller based on the AHCI chipset, as
> > according to http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#vendor_support
> > this chipset is completely open.
>
> Hmm, I am not sure what the specs of AHCI are. Not sure if it supports
> 2 or 4 or more ports.

According to page 7 of the
"Serial ATA Advanced Host Controller Interface Revision 1.1"
(available at http://www.intel.com/technology/serialata/ahci.htm), AHCI
supports up to 32 ports.

For example, Silicon Image 3124 also looks good on paper, but only
supports up to 4 ports.

> The only controllers I have seen that run more than 4 ports, are some
> raid cards, such as 3ware and areca. 3ware has had linux support for
> years, and areca is getting there. Both of those make 12+ port cards,
> which can run in JBOD mode.

Yeah, I know, but because of their real 'hardware' raid, these cards are
three times more expensive per port. And I just need JBOD.

Thanks for your time. Kind regards, Sander

--
Humilis IT Services and Solutions
http://www.humilis.net